Skin Cancer Screening in San Antonio, TX
Screening for Skin Cancer
Skin cancer can be a scary and daunting diagnosis for anyone. If you or a loved one have a new or changed mass or skin you are concerned about, it is vital to get screened by a professional dermatologist. Screening and early detection can drastically increase prognosis and survival! Texas Skin & Vein can be your trusted San Antonio skin and cancer clinic for skin cancer screening in San Antonio.
Skin cancer is defined by the abnormal growth of skin cells. It affects 1 in 5 Americans before the age of 70. The three major types of skin cancer – Basal Cell Carcinoma, Squamous Cell Carcinoma, and Melanoma are named for the skin cells they affect. These cancers differ in their severity, tendency to spread, and speed of growth.
- Basal Cell Carcinoma is the most common and is found on the outermost layer of the skin. It grows slowly and doesn’t have a tendency to spread.
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma involves the squamous cells located near the skin’s surface. This cancer spreads slowly but can spread to other areas.
- Melanoma is the rarest cancer affecting the melanocytes cells and can spread throughout the body.
As part of a healthy lifestyle, it is important to practice routine skin cancer screening. For skin cancer screening, San Antonio residents can easily perform at-home, monthly self-check exams, as well as routine screenings with a dermatologist at a San Antonio skin and cancer clinic. If you notice any changes to a mole, sore, or section of skin, schedule a screening with Dr. Straight at Texas Skin & Vein. Situations such as new growth, changes in size, shape, or color should be screened for skin cancer. If diagnosed with skin cancer, we can create a treatment plan. The potential benefits of seeking skin cancer treatment include:
- Stopping the spread of cancer to other parts of the body.
- Slowing the rate of growth of skin cancer.
- Slowing or eliminating the negative symptoms and effects of skin cancer.
Skin cancer treatment varies based on the type and severity of cancer. A doctor will usually remove the growth and the surrounding area to ensure all malignant cells are excised. Other forms of treatment that may be suggested by a San Antonio skin and cancer doctor include:
- Cryotherapy, or the use of extreme cold to kill cancer cells.
- Laser therapy, or the use of lasers to kill cancer cells.
- Chemotherapy, or the use of drugs to kill cancer cells.
- Radiation, or the use of strong energy beams to kill cancer cells.